A place of prayer a place of discovery a place of refuge
In 2015 Abbey Baptist Church celebrated its 375th birthday and a number of special events have marked the event.
Abbey joined eight other churches also founded in 1640 for a service of thanksgiving at Broadmead Baptist Church, Bristol (one of the '1640' churches) on 19th September 2015.
Our forebears in Reading first met in hired rooms in Pigney Lane. A meeting house was opened in Church Lane in 1692. In 1752 the church moved to Hosier Street and from there, in 1834, to Kings Road.
The shortest move of all took place in 1979 when we moved over the Holy Brook into our current premises in Abbey Square, on the site of the Bakery, Mill House and Stables of Reading Abbey.
Our desire and purpose is to continue to share the love that God has shown for us in Jesus with each other and with the people in the community around us.